uff anime i can't remember was long time ago hehe [img]eek.gif[/img]
but my first manga was zetsuai [img]smile.gif[/img] hehe i started with a yaoi manga and i even know that [img]wink.gif[/img]
From the philippines. I used to lump anime with cartoons. For me when I was a kid, Voltes V or daimos was no different from the superfriends or gummi bears, since both were dubbed anyways. But there was this group in my university that started showing subbed anime. I got my kid sister to go there, she was more of the big eyed japanese drawing type fan than I was.
All that changed when I watched Ghost in the Shell.
uff anime i can't remember was long time ago hehe [img]eek.gif[/img]
but my first manga was zetsuai [img]smile.gif[/img] hehe i started with a yaoi manga and i even know that [img]wink.gif[/img]
OMG gummi bears ("bouncing here and there and everywhere!!") I loved that. <3. I warn you, I am /the/ authority on old kids TV shows. ;D
Does anyone remember an aztec anime, shown in the UK as Mysterious Cities of Gold? I have vague recollections. Or Belle and Sebastian? I was a big autobots fan when I was young, too.
Do you think you just wake up one morning and realise you've somehow become an otaku? When I was in highschool, my parents were desperately encouraging me to go out and leave my computer and manga. Go get drunk, phone your friends, be normal! I think I'm just a natural obsessive geeky type. ^^
First anime I ever saw was Voltron and Thundercats (of course I didn't know that it was anime back then [img]tongue.gif[/img] The first anime that I saw that I knew was anime was Akira. Still one of my all time favorites even if it did suffer from horrible compression ala X the movie. Let's see, I didn't know what manga was until a few years ago, and then someone introduced me to yaoi and it's been downhill ever since ;P
-Reikou
...Thundercats was anime? o.o I knew the Moomins were, but Thundercats?!
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ August 17, 2003 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Alai ]</font>
re Voltron. Biggest disillusion of my life when a friend told me Spen er...uh, didnt end up as happily as he did in the dubbed version. Great angst but Speeeennnnnn!!! ;_;
I was a toddler when I saw my first anime that is Doraemon and Sailor Moon.. -_- and my first manga is Yami no Matsuei.. it's supposed to be Dragon Ball and Doraemon, but really the first manga that I'm really serious in was YNM.. ^_^ Actually, my bro liked Dragon Ball when he was a child, so I was curious in it so I read it.. and then he was starting to buy Doraemon so I read it too! ^_^
I really prefer anime over manga coz sometimes, when there's an action scene in a manga, I can't understand it.. with all those 'messy' drawings... but I love manga too, it's just that I prefered anime.. ^_^
geeze, i don't even remember my first anime. there was one back in the early 80's that i really liked but i only saw 1 or 2 eps and i don't remember it much. i just remember that i liked it. anyways, i've always liked anime and cartoons. my tv is always on the cartoon network channel. mainly because i wouldn't want real life to intrude on my fantasy world [img]smile.gif[/img]
as for subbed anime, which i have found that i like better than dubbed, it started with some subbed sailor moons i got from a friend. then a different friend gave me some ranma 1/2. then a friend from college loned me all of the evangalion eps/movies on cd for the computer. then another friend taught me how to download subbed anime from the internet. that was last March. two weeks after that, i had to go out and buy a bigger hard drive for my pc [img]smile.gif[/img]
as for manga, i asked a friend of mine to teach me how to draw anime style. he replied that anime is animated and the style of art when not animated has a different name. he told me if i could figure out the name he'd teach me how to draw it. so i was at the local waldenbooks and saw some cardcaptor sakuras, and when i looked on the back they said 'manga' under the genre. so that was my intro to manga. i bought all of the ccs available, as well as wish, clover, and chobits. then i started looking into manga by other mangakas. that was last September. i didn't discover yaoi/shounen ai until last May. and how i stumbled on that was through another strange series of coincidences which is too long to go into. but i'm glad i discovered sakura-crisis, otherwise i might never have read anything by Kaori Yuki. and i really like Kaori Yuki's work. and i love love mode. i'm really thankful for all the wonderful scanslation sites i've come across, because they've introduced me to mangas i wouldn't have known about otherwise. and now when i go to the bookstore, i know which mangas to look for [img]smile.gif[/img]
oh, and my friend that said he'd teach me how to draw manga once i knew what it was called... he still hasn't taught me how to draw. ok, i'll stop rambling now.
Kitty
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye! Yup, old school Autobot fan here, too. ~_^ Indeed, fear, for that's how I'm making money these days - working in the Transformers fandom. ^__^Originally posted by tsukiyama:
I was a big autobots fan when I was young, too.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It sort of snuck up on me, yeah. Well, more like it hit me like a ton of bricks when I realized I was spending hours on end earnestly researching everything from idiom to clothing styles for the sake of fic and sometimes just for the hell of it. And then there was the whole squeeling like a giddy schoolgirl just hearing about my sis getting me the YnM Sketchbook as a random gift, nevermind what I did when it actually arrived!Do you think you just wake up one morning and realise you've somehow become an otaku?
~ Spin
Wow, this takes some serious trips down memory lane!
Well, when I was very young, maybe 7 or 8, I was way into Rainbow Brite and My Little Ponies (not anime, I know). Then a friend introduced me to *anyone wanna guess?* Sailor Moon. I absolutely loved it. I watched all the episodes available at the time, then slowly moved on to reading books. (I read all the time, seriously. Reading is my one true love.) Then, years later, when I was in high school (9th grade) I was leaving late for school and saw the beginning of a Sailor Moon episode coming on the TV. I ended up sitting down and watching the entire episode (thus missing my first class of the day, still worth it in my mind [img]wink.gif[/img] ).
So anime was back in my life. I moved on to Magic Knight Rayearth and Cardcaptor Sakura (I'm a huge Clamp fan!). It's so funny, because I remember very clearly finding a lot of manga pics on the internet as well as anime ones and I would always think, "Man, these pics are SO messed up. Those fingers are way too long, and they just look weird." *heehee* My, how our tastes can change.
In 12th grade I again came across manga pics and to my surprise, I realized that they weren't weird, they were beautiful, and graceful. I instantly fell in love with something I had derided for so long. I've loved manga ever since. Again, my first manga was Sailor Moon, and I just had to get the art books, too. (I still look at those. I guess I'll never grow out of my Sailor Moon-ness.)
Then, earlier this year (was it really only a few months ago? O.O ) I clicked on an Amazon.com list (you know those listmania thingies on the sides, right?) and it explained all the different types of manga very briefly, including a description of yaoi and shonen-ai. I remember thinking, "People actually READ this stuff? Weird." Then I was in Suncoast and saw a DVD of Earthian (which was on the list) so out of curiosity I bought it, loved it, and have been hooked on yaoi ever since. A simple websearch opened up fantastic new worlds of scanlation groups to me, and that's how I ended up being a Scanlation Junkie.
[img]cool.gif[/img]
Wow, I just looked at this and realized how much I wrote. Sorry. I think when I decided to shed my anonymous "Guest" cloak I also unleashed my tongue. [img]redface.gif[/img] Oh well, just tell me if I talk too much, okay?
Bookmarks